amaysim provides convenient contract-free packages for users who already own their own phones
amaysim is provides a SIM-only service on Optus’ 4G network. Its plans run on a month-by-month basis.
Three different types of plans are offered by amaysim:
- As You Go, which is a prepaid plan with a fixed amount of credit based on the user’s recharge tier. Customers can use this plan for data, texts, and calls. This plan is valid for 365 days.
- Flexi plan, which functions similarly to a regular contract, but without any fixed inclusions, so you can use your monthly payment towards any combination of data, texts or calls. This plan is valid for thirty days.
- Unlimited, which is valid for 28 days.
Mobile phone packages and cost from amaysim
Prices vary depending on the plan you choose.
As the name suggests, amaysim’s unlimited plans don’t have set prices for texts or calls since each tier provides these services as part of the plan. If you choose an upper tier plan, you’re really paying for international calling and increased data allowances. You can pay anywhere from $24.90 to $49.90 for unlimited, depending on your preferences and/or sporadic special deals.
Again as the name implies, the flexi plans offer flexibility with how you use the credit obtained from the $19.90 monthly recharge fee. You’ll pay 9c per minute for a standard call or text, except if you’re texting or calling another amaysim number, which is free of charge. The plan offers you 500MB of data, with any additional usage being charged at 7.2c per MB if you do not pre-purchase a data pack. Data packs start at $9.90 for 1GB of data expiring in 30 days. The largest data pack plan is 10GB for $99.90 expiring in 365 days.
The lowest starter credit for the As You Go plan is $5, and it lasts for 365 days. Standard calls both within and outside the amaysim network are 12c per minute. You also pay the same price for standard SMS. The charge for data is 7.2c per MB.
Since amaysim is a SIM-only provider, its typical extras are comparatively thin on the ground. It’s a plus for flexi plan customers to be able to send texts and make calls to other amaysim users at no additional cost. The unlimited plan offers unlimited national calls, and also unlimited calls to ten countries – Hong Kong, China, Malaysia, India, Singapore, New Zealand, Thailand, South Korea, Thailand, USA and the UK -- as part of each of the recharge tiers. If you sign up for one of the top two tiers of the unlimited package, you also get 300 minutes of calling time to Austria, Canada, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Chile, Germany, France, Croatia, Greece, Ireland, Indonesia, Hungary, Italy, Pakistan, the Netherlands, Poland, the Philippines, Japan, South Africa, Vietnam, Turkey or Taiwan.
The unlimited packages also allow you to text 32 different countries.
- Unlimited calling.You can make unlimited calls and texts to any Australian number.
- 4G Capabilities.Assuming you’re in an area with good Optus reception, the data you purchase can be remarkably fast, since amaysim gives you direct access to Optus' 4G network.
- Flexibility:As the name suggests, the flexi plan is good for people who want to choose what they’re using their calling credit for.
- International calls and texts:Some of the higher tier plans provide international calling minutes, and all packages give you unlimited international texts to 32 countries.
- Long expiry:amaysim’s As You Go plans are great for if you just want a phone number to be contacted on, you can get that for a flat fee of $5 for a whole year.
- Basic plans.You won’t get high-end services, since amaysim's value proposition is that of a budget provider of talk, text, and data.
- No contract plans.This is not the right choice if you’re looking for a subsidised handset.